DAVIDO: 11 Surprising Things You Didn’t Know About Pop Star
David ‘Davido’ Adeleke popularly known as Omo Baba Olowo (OBO) is a multiple-award-winning Nigerian singer who came into limelight in 2011 after his rave hit single ‘Back When’. He was born in Atlanta, Georgia in the United States on November 21, 1992.
1. Davido is the son of popular billionaire businessman Adedeji Adeleke while his mother, Mrs. Veronica Adeleke was a University lecturer before she passed on.
2. He began his education at the popular British School, Lagos before he moved to Oakwood University to study Business Administration but was short-lived as the singer dropped out and returned to Nigeria to pursue his music career.
3. As a teenager, he started off as a “backup” for rising rapper Sina Rambo. He then started a group with B-Red and Rambo called KB International.
4. In 2012 he bought a house worth N140 million in Lekki Phase 1 at the age of 20
5. He is reportedly worth $16 million
6. In 2017 alone, Davido received 39 awards. Two including MTV Europe Music Award as Best African Act 2017 and MTV Europe Music Award for Best Worldwide Act 2017.
7. The Nigerian music star now has over 13 million followers on Instagram, making him the first Nigerian artist to have such a high social media following.
8. On June 2018 he became the first International act to receive his BET award live on stage during the Black Entertainment Television Awards on June 2018
9. Davido’s uncle, Isiaka Adeleke was the first Governor of Osun State and two-time Nigerian Senator
11. He almost got signed into Dbanj’s DB records in 2011 with Dbanj revealing “that he had given Davido a Rolex Wristwatch, as a gift, so he could sign him” but David’s dad declined saying he wants his son to go to school.