Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had in August ordered the overhauling of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The Nigeria Police Force on their Instagram has shared 12 facts people need to know about the new FSARS.
The facts include numbers to reach for complaints and the responsibilities of the squad.
1. The Nigeria police is committed to full compliance with the presidential directives on the overhaul of SARS.
2. The outfit will now be known as the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, (F-SARS).
3. All SARS Teams Nationwide have been collapsed under the new F-SARS with a commissioner of Police appointed to head F-SARS and report to the Inspector General of Police through the DIG, Department of Operations.
4. The Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad has been moved from the force Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department to the Department of Operations, Force Headquarters, Abuja.
5. F-SARS is now saddled with the responsibility of fighting Armed Robbery and Kidnapping-related cases only.
6. New F-SARS commanders also appointed to operate in states and Zonal Commands and are to be accountable for actions of Personnel under them.
7. A new Standard Operational Guidelines and Procedures, and code of conduct for all FSARS personnel to ensure that the operations of FSARS is in strict adherence to the rule of law and constitutionally guaranteed rights of citizens; has been unveiled and being enforced in totality.
8. A committee of Senior Police officers, Technical Consultants (CSOs) has been setup to review and monitor the activities of FSARS under the new arrangement with the use of a custody Records Management system.
9. Human Right Desk Officers for FSARS in every State to take complaints from the public and forward same to Force Headquarters and not Commander FSARS in the state.
10. Henceforth, FSARS personnel will not perform stop and search duties except on distress call to respond to armed robbery and kidnapping offences only and they must appear in their police uniform with full identification pending the launch of new FSARS uniform with identity name tag by the Inspector General of Police for all FSARS Personnel throughout the country.
11. Periodic training program medical and psychological screening in collaboration with some Civil Society Organizations, (CSOs) local and international NGOs, and other Human Rights Organizations on core police Duties, observant of human rights and handling care and custody of suspects have been directed by the Inspector General of police for all Federal SARS personnel nationwide with immediate effect.
12. Members of the public who have any complaint in the past or present of violation of their rights by any SARS personnel anywhere in the country are to report via the following channels for investigation.